Harry W. Meador Coal Museum

Museum features exhibits and objects collected by the late Harry Meador Jr., an executive with a local coal company. Museum property once served as the study of John Fox Jr, author of “Trail of the Lonesome Pine”.The founder of the museum, Harry W. Meador, was an advocate of the coal mining industry. During his career, he rose from a union laborer to the Vice President of Coal Development for a local coal company.Once part of the John Fox, Jr. estate, the house was a two room building that served as a library and study. Later a wing was added and the building served as a community center for dances and other activities. Various displays exist in the museum, including a collection of photographs, mining equipment and tools, office equipment, coal company items, and a small dentist office from the early 1900’s.

  • East Third Street and Shawnee Avenue
    Big Stone Gap, VA 24219
  • 276-523-9209
  • Go to Website

Similar Attractions


  • St. Paul
    LOVEwork at Western Front Hotel

    The LOVEwork at Western Front Hotel is a piece that the town of St. Paul purchased several years ago. It traveled to different local shops and establishments in the town until it found it's permanent...

    Learn More
    • Arts & Crafts
    • Attractions
  • Big Stone Gap
    LOVEwork in Big Stone Gap

    The Big Stone Gap LOVE sign was designed and built by a local craftsman in honor of the Big Stone Gap film.  Visitors are encouraged to take photos with the LOVEwork and share with loved ones on...

    Learn More
    • Arts & Crafts
    • Attractions