Please wait... loading Google Map.

Fincastle Turnpike

In 1834 the Virginia General Assembly passed legislation to develop a route known as the “Fincastle Turnpike” from the Wilderness Road at Fincastle to Cumberland Gap. This was to be a toll road maintained by each county. The 248 miles of the road was completed around 1841. Militia Forts dotted the road as it traversed through the counties of Botetourt, Craig, Giles, Bland, Tazewell, Russell and the joining the Wilderness Road in Scott and Lee Counties.

Pin It on Pinterest